The list of motorcycle driving licence categories in Ireland
Buy a Motorcycle driving licence You can apply for any of the four motorcycle licenses by direct access, i.e. without having to hold a license of lower category at first. But one needs to pass the motorcycle theory test as well as the Initial Basic Training (IBT) course, which is designed to teach basic riding skills to learner motorcyclists. A certificate of successful completion will be issued by approved driving instructors which is needed along with the learner’s permit, when you drive your motorcycle. Get detailed lessons from best driving instructors Dublin has to support you with.
The following are the categories listed for motorcycle licenses.
- Category AM- This is for mopeds and light quadricycles and the age limit is 16 years.
- Category A1- This category is for motorcycles within their engine capacity within 125 cubic centimetres, a power rating not exceeding 11 kW and a power to weight ratio not exceeding 0.1 kW/kg. This section also includes motor tricycles with a power rating not exceeding 15 kW. The age limit for this license is 16 years.
- Category A2- This section also include motorcycles and the age limit is 18 years. This is for motorcycles with a power output not exceeding 35 kW and a power to weight ratio not exceeding 0.2 kW/kg. It should also not derived from a vehicle of more than double the value of its power.
- Category A- This category involves motorcycles of 595 cubic centimetres capacity with engine power of at least 50 kW. The category needs an age limit of 24 years. The applications can also be made by those above 20 years of age with progressive access.
NDLS online is the fastest, most convenient way for you to buy an Irish driving licence or renew your Irish or driving licence without sitting for test online
- About the driving test
- Apply for your driving test online
- Current driving test booking restrictions
- Driving test eligibility
- Request an urgent driving test
- Cancelling your driving test
- The driving test and Covid -19
- Pass the test
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Your Car
- Issues and Concerns
- Driving Test Centres
- After you pass
- Repeating your test
- Weather Disruptions
- Waiting Times
- Learning to dr